First, I built a base mesh for all character pieces in Maya.
Next, bring low res pieces into Zbrush for sculpting details and modifying form.
I worked on the head separately so that I could get higher subdivision levels without taking the poly count extremely high on the body.
After all the details are sculpted in, I export .obj's of the high res pieces and bring them into 3D Coat for retopo and UV.
Here is the final mesh for the game model.
I used 2 uv sets: One set for the head and one set for the body.
The AO map is baked with the Diffuse map. I used the AO map as a guide to paint more details. All maps are 2048x2048.
Final view of character rendered in Marmoset.